ON THE THEME OF
The Contemporary Situation in the Countries of the Maghreb and the Middle East
St. Antony’s College, Oxford, 11th February 2012.
Convened by the Maghreb Studies Association
Proceedings will be published in a future issue of The Maghreb Review
Subjects covered in the conference included social change and
cultural and literary aspects as well as political issues.
- DR JOHN CHALCRAFT, London School of Economics: Mohamed Bouazizi, Survivalist Small Business, Egypt,
and the Arab Uprisings of 2011: neoliberalism’s crisis of authority?
- PROFESSOR AVI SHLAIM, University of Oxford: The Arab Uprising and the Arab-Israel Conflict.
- PROFESSOR STUART SCHAAR, Brooklyn College, CUNY: The Arab Citizen’s Revolt and its Impact on Tunisia.
- DR MICHAEL WILLIS, University of Oxford: The Arab Spring and the Challenge of Reform in Morocco.
- DR SALMA BELAALA, University of Warwick: Arab Revolts and Democratic Transition What should we learn from
Algerian collapsed democracy experience?
- DR MAAIKE VOORHOEVE, University of Amsterdam: Transitional justice in post-revolutionary Tunisia:
discourses and discursive practices.
- PROFESSOR YAHIA ZOUBIR, Euromed Marseille Ecole de Management, Marseille: An Interpretation of the Arab Uprising.